My Version of Nabeyaki Udon


My girl's favorite dish at the Japanese restaurants is udon. Whether it is Nabeyaki Udon, Tempura Udon, or the udon that my mom cooks for her :)


I used to cook udon the Chinese style for her - ikan billies as the broth, with spinach and fish or fishballs. But I still prefer the Japanese style udon. Interestingly, Nabeyaki Udon has been my favorite since I first tasted Japanese food. My girl has the same taste bud as me? :D

Found the instruction on how to make Kombu Dashi on JustOneCookbook previously, but I could not find dried kombu in any of the supermarkets I went to. Finally, I found dried kombu at a Supermarket in town. I also found dried bonito at the same place. I was very excited :) Last night, I followed Nami's method - I soaked 10g of kombu (Nami stated 20g) in 1000ml of water and left it in the fridge overnight. This morning, I took out the kombu from the water. The broth looks very light in color, quite unlike the darker color seen in Nami's blog. Maybe it's because I put in only 10g. After heating up the broth, I added 6g of dried bonito. After filtering (with a piece of soup pouch & strainer), the broth for my Nabeyaki Udon is ready! :)

I forgot to buy mirin :p so no mirin was added to the soup. I don't think my recipe is good enough for sharing, but here are the ingredients I used:

Ingredients
Serves 2
- dashi stock (made from 1000ml water + 10g kombu + 6g dried bonito)
- mushrooms (you can use any kind that you like)
- chicken fillet
- leek
- 2 carrot
- spring onion
- baby spinach (blanched)
- 2 eggs
- 2 packets of udon

- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce

My girl finished every drop in her bowl. I feel good knowing that she had a healthy lunch :)

Comments