Chocolate Chiffon Cupcakes


Yesterday, I felt like baking chiffon cake again. I guess chiffon cake is the least sinful cake as it does not contain butter :p


Here is the recipe.

Chocolate Chiffon Cake
From the book 戚风咸蛋糕&戚风甜蛋糕
By 小岛喜和



Ingredients

3 egg yolk
20g  castor sugar*
50ml vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
50ml water (I used low-fat fresh milk)
75g low protein flour (I used 80g Top Flour and omitted cocoa powder)
5g cocoa powder
40g chocolate

3 egg whites
50g castor sugar*

*I used golden granulated sugar

Preparation
- Preheat oven to 170 Degree Celcius
- Sift cocoa powder and flour
- Separate eggs
- Chopped chocolate into small pieces, melt using bain marie

Method
1. Whisk egg yolk and add castor sugar. Mix using whisk until color lightens. Add oil and water gradually. Mix thoroughly.
2. Add flour and cocoa powder to egg yolk mixture. Mix using whisk until there is no trace of flour.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg white using handheld electric mixer. Add sugar in 2 additions and beat until stiff peak forms.
4. Add egg white into egg yolk mixture in 2 additions and mix well.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30mins (I used cups instead so I baked them for 15 mins).

As I omitted cocoa powder, the cupcakes looked lighter in color. I think adding cocoa powder will give it a nicer color and added chocolate flavor. Nevertheless, the cakes tasted light and fluffy. My daughter and me couldn't help but each had 2 even before the cupcakes were cooled down :p

But I noticed that the cakes didn't keep very well. When I ate it the next day, the top was wet/moist. I am not sure why.. :p It happened the last time I baked matcha chiffon cupcakes too. I will take note of the oven temperature the next time.

I love the paper cups I bought last weekend - they are so cute! :)

Happy baking! :)



Comments

  1. I wonder why you said chiffon cake is healthier as it does not use butter. So long as oil is used, it's still not much healthy.

    I am always very puzzled and I think it's a misconception by bloggers when they mention that cakes with no eggs are healthier version but the cakes were still baked with oil.

    What I am trying to say here is that I rather bake cakes with eggs and do away with oil totally if I can. For eggs contain most of the essential mineral and vitamin which oil does not have.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla, thanks for your message. While i do not have all the research results to answer all your questions, i do have some thoughts to clarify. First, i don't think cakes can be considered "heathy", as we are supposed to limit our intake of added sugar in our daily diet, as recommended by many health organizations. I said that cake baked using oil instead of butter is healthier as butter contains saturated fats, and saturated fats is not good for our body. Vegetable oil such as canola oil is thus considered healthier. Saturated fats increase cholesterol in our bloodstream (source: http://www.myheart.org.sg/article/nutrition-tips/healthy-eating/conquering-cholesterol/209).

      Secondly, to address your point about use of eggs, I am not sure if using eggs instead of oil will be healthier since egg yolk increases cholesterol, although i have read that egg yolk is full of nutrients.

      In summary, my take is that eating in moderation is the key. Hope the above info is helpful.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Baking Scientist for your swift response.

    Yes, I agree with you that butter is not as healthy as oil, however, I am a firm believer that all types of oil, are not healthy too. The only cakes I bake are sponge cakes without oil/butter or chiffon cake with very minimum oil (15g for a 3-egg chiffon). Certainly, yolk is high in cholesterol but compare with oil, I will eat yolk but confine to 3 nos. per week, unless they are kampung egg due to the size, I will have an egg a day.

    The reason I have an obsession to oil is because I used to have 2 big cups of milk (not low fat) per day for over ten years. But a year ago, due to my small fridge, I could not stock milk and the crumblesome of lugging milk back from supermarkets, I stopped buying and drinking milk. And you know, my weight gone down so much until all the ribs appeared. I was so skinny and my family members and friends thought I was not well. I did not know the reason then for the huge weight loss until much later, I realized that it was milk missing from my diet.

    Thanks for allowing me to share my experience with you.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla, i am also getting more health conscious now that i am older. It is important to maintain a healthy diet. This food pyramid is familiar to all and hpb added egs on the servings, it is helpful for planning our diet: http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/2638

      Hope u are substituting milk with other food that provides the same nutrients. Eg yogurt for calcium. Hope u find the diet that suits your lifestyle most :)

      Delete
  3. I love fluffy chiffon cake but haven't tried making it myself. I like this individual serving style. Somehow I can control my portion and I can also give it a way easily (without sharing "half" or "quarter" of cake to someone. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami for stopping by! :) Cupcake is nice as a gift for friends and easier to carry around.

      Delete

Post a Comment