Japchae & Multigrain Rice


Recently I have been reading up on cooking instead of baking, hoping to learn to cook a few more dishes for my kid and hubby. As I am into multigrain rice since my samgak gimbap / onigiri / rice roll making adventure, I've gotten my sis to buy a packet of purple rice from Taiwan for me. I am still confused over purple rice and glutinous black rice. They look similar, and different sources on the Internet seem to suggest different thoughts about their relationship to each other. There are several health benefits to purple rice, do read up on wikipedia if you are interested to find out more.

During our recently family trip to South Korea, I bought a packet of multigrain rice from the Lotte Mart. Multigrain rice is expensive in Singapore's supermarkets. After checking with my Korean friend,  I understand that this multigrain rice need no soaking. This is convenient! I usually have to soak the other brand of multigrain rice for 3 to 4 hours before cooking.

As I was running out of idea on what to cook for lunch one Saturday, I decided to cook this multigrain rice to go with Japchae. I have cooked Japchae several times, but the result varies each time. This time, I decided to follow Maangchi's recipe. I am grateful to her for the many videos she has made and shared with novices like me :) Please refer to Maangchi's blog for full recipe and video. All her videos are very clear and she makes cooking Korean food looks so easy!

Instead of beef and white mushrooms, I used pork and enoki mushrooms. I think this is probably the yummiest Japchae I have made so far.

The multigrain rice smells and tastes great. I love the texture, especially the beans. Unlike my kid, who did not like the beans (which is fine as I got to eat more hehe). Fortunately, she loves the Korean purple-colored rice like me. She loves rice and in order to maintain her weight, I have switched to healthier rice. A word of caution though, I always cook 3/4 cup Japonica rice (from ntuc, supposed to be low in fat & cholesterol free) with 1/4 cup of purple rice or multigrain rice, as not everybody can digest multigrains well. So my suggestion is to start a lower ratio of multigrain rice and increase if your stomach agrees with it.

Stay healthy! :)




Comments