Flapjack / Rolled Oats Bars / Granola Bars




These days I have been spending more time reading up on lunch box recipes and cooking. Thus, had neglected baking. I was not inspired to bake when I think of the amount of washing up I have to do after that. Found this recipe which looks easy and minimal washing so I went ahead to make a batch.

After researching on the web, it seems like flapjacks, rolled oats bar and granola bars are the same thing. They are perhaps called differently depending fron which country you are from.

Here's the recipe, thanks to  My Wok's Life for sharing. I also referred to Jamie's step-by-step recipe when I made them. A picture speaks a thousand words, the photos are very helpful.

Ingredients
- 70g butter
- 60g brown sugar (I used unrefined dark brown soft sugar)
- 60g golden syrup
- 170g rolled oats (I used organic rolled oats)
- about 1 tbs of ground peanuts

Preparation
1. Line a 8" x 8" square pan with baking paper.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degC.

Method
1. Put butter, sugar and golden syrup in a heavy bottom saucepan. Melt them in low heat.
2. Stir with a wooden or silicone spatula to combine the ingredients when the butter starts to melt.
3. Once the butter has melted, turn off the heat and add rolled oats and peanuts  into pan.
4. Mix them well.
5. Transfer the mixture to the square pan and press down with a spatula or metal spoon.
6. Bake for 25 mins. Please adjust baking time according to your oven, original recipe stated 20 mins.
7. Once baking is done, leave flapjack to cool in pan for 10 mins before cutting into squares with a knife. Leave flapjack to cool completely in pan. Store in air-tight container.

The texture of these flapjacks is chewy. I would prefer a crunchy texture, will try again next time to see how that can be achieved. Nevertheless, the taste of these flapjacks is very good, it does remind me of caramel popcorn. It is easy to put together so don't hesitate to try this recipe if you have some rolled oats onhand.



Comments