Appie Pie



My ugly looking apple pie :p From the look of it, you can guess how desperate I was when I was trying to cover the top of the pie. Made these apple pies yesterday, which was a super hot day (not like there are many days that are not hot in Singapore :p). The dough was melting as I was trying to lay them on the pie mould.

Please refer to Eugenie Kitchen's recipe and method on her blog. Found her videos to be very useful. I didn't have enough apples so I tweaked the recipe a little. Also, I used a Korean rice spoon to measure the flour and sugar :p Here are the ingredients I used:

Ingredients

For filling:
- 395g of Envy Apples (weight after peeling and removing core)
- 4 (Korean) spoons of demerera sugar
- 2 (Korean) spoons of cake flour (for thickening)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice

My notes:
- When making filling, add flour, sugar and lemon juice together in a big bowl and mix. Mixture will be grainy.
- Slice apples thinly and evenly for faster and even cooking.

For pie crust, please refer to Eugenie Kitchen's Shortcrust Pastry recipe and video.

Envy apple is fairly sweet. You may need to adjust the amount of sugar depending on what kind of apples you use. The sweetness is just right for the taste buds of my family. This recipe is a good way to use up extra apples. It also saves the step of caramelizing of the apples.





Comments