Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My Version of Nabeyaki Udon


My girl's favorite dish at the Japanese restaurants is udon. Whether it is Nabeyaki Udon, Tempura Udon, or the udon that my mom cooks for her :)


I used to cook udon the Chinese style for her - ikan billies as the broth, with spinach and fish or fishballs. But I still prefer the Japanese style udon. Interestingly, Nabeyaki Udon has been my favorite since I first tasted Japanese food. My girl has the same taste bud as me? :D

Found the instruction on how to make Kombu Dashi on JustOneCookbook previously, but I could not find dried kombu in any of the supermarkets I went to. Finally, I found dried kombu at a Supermarket in town. I also found dried bonito at the same place. I was very excited :) Last night, I followed Nami's method - I soaked 10g of kombu (Nami stated 20g) in 1000ml of water and left it in the fridge overnight. This morning, I took out the kombu from the water. The broth looks very light in color, quite unlike the darker color seen in Nami's blog. Maybe it's because I put in only 10g. After heating up the broth, I added 6g of dried bonito. After filtering (with a piece of soup pouch & strainer), the broth for my Nabeyaki Udon is ready! :)

I forgot to buy mirin :p so no mirin was added to the soup. I don't think my recipe is good enough for sharing, but here are the ingredients I used:

Ingredients
Serves 2
- dashi stock (made from 1000ml water + 10g kombu + 6g dried bonito)
- mushrooms (you can use any kind that you like)
- chicken fillet
- leek
- 2 carrot
- spring onion
- baby spinach (blanched)
- 2 eggs
- 2 packets of udon

- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce

My girl finished every drop in her bowl. I feel good knowing that she had a healthy lunch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment