Sponge Cupcakes


What kind of cakes do you like? I prefer the sponge cake as it is light and fluffy :)

Yesterday I baked a batch of Chocolate Chocolate Chips Muffins, following the recipe on Eugenie's Kitchen. Oil was used instead of butter. When fresh from oven, the texture actually resembles Chinese steam cake (Huat Kuey). I added less flour by mistake :p Silly me.

I was craving for sponge cake :p Actually I have not attempted roll cake, which is on my list but I've been overwhelmed by other recipes :p Yesterday I went to the library with my kid and borrowed the Cupcake Book, by 小田川さなえ. The cupcakes were so beautiful and the step-by-step photos on the cupcake making process really made me want to get my hands to try baking one of these asap :D

Finally, this morning, after sending off my girl to school early in the morning, I went straight to the kitchen to start "work". Procrastination is my enemy - it is always now or never, as I tend to sit on a recipe :D Everything went smoothly, well, except I was clumsy and gan cheong (anxious), and jumping around in the kitchen haha. I did not really measure the temperature of the milk & butter mixture and the egg & sugar mixture - just going by estimation.

Thank God the cupcakes rose beautifully, no slanted tops :) As I removed the cupcakes from the oven, the cupcakes still look well risen. Then I recalled I may need to turn them upside down to prevent shrinking and quickly did so. The cupcakes shrunk a bit after they are cooled down. I couldn't wait to take a bite into the cupcake as I snapped some photos of them. The texture is exactly what I was looking for - soft and fluffy! :) I popped 2 cupcakes (ok, 3 :p) into my mouth - satisfied :D

I feel great - it's really a good thing that I did not wait further as I will be thinking about the cupcakes until I get down to bake them! :D




Now I can't wait to bake the matcha cupcakes, once I get the matcha powder :p

Here's the recipe:

Cupcake Book
小田川さなえ

 海绵杯子蛋糕
 Makes 8 cups (7cm diameter). I made 8 cups (5cm), not sure why :D

Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 60g castor sugar (I used golden granulated sugar & raw sugar)
- 60g cake flour
- 15g unsalted butter
- 25ml fresh milk

Preparation
- add butter and milk in a heatproof bowl/cup, dip into heated water to heat up to approximately 50 degree celcius
- sift cake flour
- preheat oven at 180 degree celcius

Method
1. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl, add sugar.
2. Put 1 over water bath until temperature of the mixture is about body temperature.
3. Remove mixing bowl from heat, beat the eggs using an electric beater, until mixture turns white.
4. Add sifted flour to 3. Mix using a spatula gently.
5. Once there is no trace of flour in the mixture, scoop a bit of mixture and add into the melted butter & milk mixture. Mix thoroughly.
6. Pour the melted butter & milk mixture back into the mixing bowl. Mix gently using a spatula.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cups (about 2/3 full). Put into preheated oven and bake for 12-13 mins.

Enjoy baking! :)

Comments