Saturday, May 25, 2013
Chocolate Chiffon Cupcakes
Yesterday, I felt like baking chiffon cake again. I guess chiffon cake is the least sinful cake as it does not contain butter :p
Here is the recipe.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
From the book 戚风咸蛋糕&戚风甜蛋糕
3 egg yolk
20g castor sugar*
50ml vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
50ml water (I used low-fat fresh milk)
75g low protein flour (I used 80g Top Flour and omitted cocoa powder)
5g cocoa powder
3 egg whites
50g castor sugar*
*I used golden granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 170 Degree Celcius
- Sift cocoa powder and flour
- Separate eggs
- Chopped chocolate into small pieces, melt using bain marie
1. Whisk egg yolk and add castor sugar. Mix using whisk until color lightens. Add oil and water gradually. Mix thoroughly.
2. Add flour and cocoa powder to egg yolk mixture. Mix using whisk until there is no trace of flour.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg white using handheld electric mixer. Add sugar in 2 additions and beat until stiff peak forms.
4. Add egg white into egg yolk mixture in 2 additions and mix well.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30mins (I used cups instead so I baked them for 15 mins).
As I omitted cocoa powder, the cupcakes looked lighter in color. I think adding cocoa powder will give it a nicer color and added chocolate flavor. Nevertheless, the cakes tasted light and fluffy. My daughter and me couldn't help but each had 2 even before the cupcakes were cooled down :p
But I noticed that the cakes didn't keep very well. When I ate it the next day, the top was wet/moist. I am not sure why.. :p It happened the last time I baked matcha chiffon cupcakes too. I will take note of the oven temperature the next time.
I love the paper cups I bought last weekend - they are so cute! :)
Happy baking! :)