Ma La Gou (马拉糕) Steamed Cake



It's Ma La Gou, or Ma Lai Gao, or Malay cake? I am not sure what is the actual name of this cake. This is a common Chinese cake being sold at hawker centers or bakeries in Singapore. I usually see the dark colored ones, although I saw many recipes on the Web for light colored Ma La Gou. Apparently, it seems to be popular in HK dim sum restaurants/shops.

My girl loves this cake and my mom would buy her sometimes.

The recipe I followed is from singapore shiok! Thank you singapore shiok! for sharing this recipe :) I chose this recipe as it is the easiest I can find, and the photos of the dusky cake look so tempting :)

I made some slight adjustments due to the ingredients I have on-hand. Please refer to the original recipe here.

Ingredients:
150g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp double-acting baking powder
75g milk (UHT milk)
75g oil (canola oil)
4 eggs (as I ran out of fresh eggs, 3 tbsp egg whites thawed from freezer and 1 egg)
3 tsp vanilla essence (2 tsp vanilla bean paste)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce (1 tsp)
150g soft brown sugar (120g dry demerara sugar)

I followed method from singapore shiok!, except that instead of greasing the pan, I layered it with aluminum foil and baking paper. The cake did not stick to the baking paper and could be removed easily.

The cake turns out very soft that I had problem cutting it nicely.
 
Ma La Gou fresh after steaming.
I find that the cake is not as fragrant as the Ma La Gou I bought from Tiong Bahru Market once. Probably it will smell nicer if palm sugar is used? I really like to try that but first, I need to find the recipe :)

Happy steaming! :)

Comments

Post a Comment