台式奶香月饼 - Taiwanese Style Milky Baked Mooncakes


This is not the usual Traditional Baked Mooncakes.

I had never imagine myself to be baking traditional mooncakes. The steps are troublesome. This year is the first time I am making mooncakes. I started off with snowskin mooncakes, which only remain soft for 2-3 days. After reading more recipes shared by fellow bloggers, I decided to try this one, and am glad I did :)

Many thanks to 鲸鱼蓝蓝小窝居 for sharing this recipe. The best part of this mooncake is, you don't have to wait for 3 days before you can eat it :D This recipe uses butter instead of the usual peanut oil.
She mentioned this is like the Taiwanese pineapple tart - wow! my favorite, there it goes, I must bake these :p

The only headache I have is, I don't have milk powder at home. My girl is going 8 years old this year, and we have stopped feeding her with powdered milk. I went to the nearest supermarket but could only find milk powder for kids and adults. They are very big tins, not something I want to invest in as the recipe only requires 10g :D Then, an idea pops up - how about using condensed milk instead, and reduced the egg yolk to 1? :D Ok lah, bo chap already, I must make these today... :p



Here's the recipe from 鲸鱼蓝蓝小窝居 with minor modification. Please refer to her blog for the original recipe.

Ingredients (makes 9 x 5.2cm diameter mooncake plunger mould)
50g butter (soften at room temperature)
30g golden syrup
30g icing sugar
150g cake flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg yolk
Store-bought mango lotus seeds paste
10g condensed milk

Method
1. In a mixing bowl, mix butter, golden syrup, icing sugar and condensed milk together.
2. Add the egg yolk and mix until fluffy (I used my handheld mixer).
3. Sift cake flour and baking soda. Add mixture into the butter mixture. Combine to form a soft dough.
4. Rest dough at room temperature for 30mins.
5. Divide dough into equal parts. Divide lotus seeds paste into equal parts. Wrap paste in dough. Shape using a mooncake mould. Line in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Bake at preheat oven at 170 degC for 5 mins. Then remove from oven, apply egg wash over the top of the mooncakes.
7. Return to oven and bake for a further 15 mins or until the top is golden brown (I baked for 10 mins as my oven temperature was 180 degC - my oven temperature is not stable).

My mooncakes were a little bit cracked, and the print was not very visible. I suspect it's because the temperature of my oven was too high. Also, the mooncakes expanded a bit, I think they need to be spaced apart for at least 2cm. My mooncakes kind of stick to one another :D  I think if milk powder is used, the mooncakes may smell more fragrant. Nevertheless,  the mooncakes smelt pretty good when fresh out of the oven.

These mooncakes really taste like the Taiwanese pineapple tarts 台湾凤梨酥! Wah, it is one of my favorite. I like these 芒果酥 hehe :D

This is a refreshing change from the traditional mooncakes :)

Comments