Chocolate Rolled Cake



Do you have problem using the whipping cream before it expires?  It happened a few times for me as I usually use very small amount e.g. 100g each time, and the smallest pack is 200g. Yesterday, I baked these lovely Chocolate Rolled Cake. Next week, I will bake some for my niece as per her request, so this is a practice batch and helped used up the remaining whipping cream I had from making the Matcha Azuki Beans Rolled Cake.


I followed the same recipe from Cooking With Dog once again, but this time, replacing 1 tbsp of matcha with cocoa powder. I halved the recipe and used a 8x8" (20x20cm) square pan to bake this. But I just realized that I forgot to half the cocoa powder - it's supposed to be 1/2 tbsp instead but I added 1 tbsp :p

For the filling, I whipped 88g of whipping cream (what was left), and then, added melted chocolate. I learned this from Carol's blog. Thanks to Carol for sharing her recipe :) I am not sure why the chocolate must be melted at 50 degC. But here's what I did:  boil the water, leave it to cool for a while before placing the chocolate (in a cup) into the water. Once the chocolate has melted, add it to the whipped cream immediately and stir them together. I used Cadbury Gold Dark 70% chocolate bar for this, and the result is intense chocolate flavor - my hubby gave it a thumbs up! :)



I was not able to take a clear photo of this cake to show the rolled layers. I am beginning to like "rolling" cakes as they look so beautiful :) Next time I may add some diced almond to the chocolate cream. Please refer to Carol's blog for her lovely Christmas log cake, it looks so yummy! :)

Happy rolling! :)

* Updated on 12 Dec: I forgot to mention that because I added 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, my batter was a bit dry, so I added about 3 tsp of fresh milk to it.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful rolled cake this is! I'm sure my family will enjoy it. I am a little hesitant to make this for a while now... I feel like sushi is a lot easier to deal with (rice is easier to roll than sponge cake...). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami! I don't know how to roll a sushi :p so I think if u r good at rolling sushi, sponge cake should be no problem for u :) In the Cooking with Dog video, chef rolls the cake like a sushi, so fast n good! It will be the same for u :)

      Delete
  2. you just remind me that I have so long did not make a roll cake..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe :) there will be different phases when I will feel like baking a certain dessert / cake, recently, it is rolled cake :D I love how simple the recipe is, and how elegant it looks :)

      Delete

Post a Comment