Peanut Pancake 面煎粿


This is a very local pancake called 面煎粿. It is one of my favourite snack since young. I made the peanut version yesterday morning for our breakfast. Found this easy recipe, many thanks to My Kitchen for sharing this yummy recipe :)

For some reason, I grew up calling this "ban jian kueh", but all my other friends call it "meen jian kueh" :p

Here's the recipe. Please visit My Kitchen for the original recipe and method. I think it is good advice to cool the pancakes on the wire rack if not serving immediately, as the bottom of my pancake was a little soggy after sitting on the plate for 5 to 10 mins.

Ingredients (I made minor changes according to the ingredients I have on hand)

- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
-  a drop of  vanilla paste
- 1 cup low-fat fresh milk
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- pinch of double acting baking powder

- some butter
- diced or ground peanuts
- sugar (adjust to your preference)

Method (makes 2-3 servings)

1. Whisk egg and sugar together.
2. Add vanilla paste and half the milk. Continue mixing.
3. Add sifted flour in batches and mix.
4. Add oil and remaining milk and mix. The batter will be watery.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan (I used the HappyCall frying pan so no oil was necessary). Pour half the batter (my pan size is 20") into the pan. Turn heat to low. When tiny air pockets appear on top of the batter, add some butter on top of the batter. Sprinkle peanuts & sugar mixture on top. Fold 1 side of pancake over to form a semi circle. Once the pancake is browned, remove from pan. Cool on a wire rack. It tastes best when hot.


Hope you enjoy this simple yet yummy breakfast like I do :)


Comments