Blueberries Wholemeal Oats Crumble Muffins





As I was searching for healthier recipes to bake for my family, I started to read up on food and nutrition again. There are so many conflicting reports about what is good or bad for our bodies. This article gives a brief but good info on more healthful baking with white flour alternatives. Inspired by that, I decided to try baking with 50/50 wholemeal (or whole wheat) flour and plain flour.

Found this recipe, thanks to Felicia for sharing this healthful muffin recipe :) The original recipe she adapted was a blueberries muffin recipe, and since blueberries is in season now, I baked with blueberries and the result was very satisfactory :)

The crumble toppings recipe is from Happy Home Baking. Thanks to HHB for sharing this recipe. I was reading the two recipes concurrently, and finally decided to combine the two :)

Here's the list of ingredients I used, based on what I had.

Ingredients
Makes 9, 5cm diameter muffin cups
Updated on 22 Sept 14: tested successfully with the modified measurement in pink.

For the muffin (adapted from here):
90g plain flour
90g Origins organic wholemeal flour (130g wholemeal & 50g plain flour)
28g rolled oats
113g dry demerara sugar (100g)
1/2tsp salt
1-1/3tsp double-acting baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil (50g)
1/2 cup low-fat fresh milk (110g)
1 medium egg (about 50g without shell)
About 100g fresh blueberries

Please refer to method here. It is basically whisking the dry ingredients in one mixing bowl, mix the wet ingredients in another mixing bowl, then pour the wet into the dry and fold with a spatula. Add the blueberries last. The batter should look lumpy and gooey.

I had been using a digital scale and got a bit lost using the cup to measure the ingredients. Therefore, the metric measurements you see here may not match Felicia's recipe. I only have one measuring cup, so I tried to memorize the metric measurements as I measure each ingredient with my cup :p 

For the crumble toppings (adapted from HHB's recipe):
20g plain flour
20g Origins organic wholemeal flour
25g dry demerara sugar
25g cold unsalted butter

Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl (butter last), and use your finger tips or a fork to rub-in the butter into the flour and sugar.

For the crumble toppings measurements, there was some hiccups too, as I thought I had a packet of grounded almond at home but I just couldn't find it! So, I had to use my impromptu judgment (better description is 手忙脚乱加误打误撞). Fortunately, the muffins turned up just the way I had imagined - crunchy on the outside and soft inside. I wouldn't be able to tell that wholemeal flour was used in this if I wasn't the one who baked it :D I think the addition of almond will give an even nicer crunch.

To assemble, fill the batter up to 2/3 full and sprinkle the crumble toppings on top.

Bake at 200 degC for 20 mins, it is done when a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.

My kid does not like blueberries and even requested me to remove them. But I managed to convince her to try, which she did. I really hope that she will eat more fruits :p

My search for wholemeal flour recipes continues, as I have a whole 1kg packet to finish up :p

But certainly glad that at least I manage to introduce whole grains into our diets :)

Happy healthful baking!

* Word of caution: increase your intake of high-fiber food (like whole grains) gradually, as a sudden increase may cause bloating. Source: Webmd.

Comments