Chocolate Snowskin Mooncake 2014


It is important to write down steps on how a dish is prepared, so that you can refer to it the next time you make the same dish. Now, repeat that 100 times (talking to myself). I do not have the habit of writing down the steps I took to prepare a dish successfully. I blame it on my laziness but my friend told me she wrote down because she is lazy (?) - different definition of laziness? :D

Too much time and food wasted if recipes and methods are not recorded down properly. In fact, part of the reason I started my own blog is to force myself to write down the recipes and steps, so that I may refer to them when I want to make them again. However, I also respect all the original bloggers who selflessly share their recipes online, and do not think I should copy their recipes and methods and paste on my blog, although I always make sure to make reference back to them. But, there's nothing like your own notes right? What you did correctly, or what you did wrong that you would want to remind yourself the next time.

I almost forgot why I brought this up :D As I began making mooncakes few weeks ago, I referred to my previous post on Chocolate Snowskin Mooncake. Sure, the ingredients were listed there, but I did not write down the method. Being myself (impulsive, impatient), I dashed straight into the kitchen and started making. It was a failure! Why? I have made it successfully last year. Well sorry, I forgot the crucial step of mixing the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients quickly, and in one direction. The result was a lumpy mess. So I went back to read up online to refresh my memory on how to make snowskin mooncakes especially when I am using oil and not shortening.

Lesson learned. So here is the recipe :p

Chocolate Snowskin Mooncakes
Makes 4, 50g mould mooncakes

Ingredients:

- 38g kou fen (available in Phoon Huat)
- 40g icing sugar
- 4g canola oil
- 60g drinking water
- 25g Cadbury Gold 70% Cocoa Chocolate Bar, melted

- store-bought lotus seeds paste
- some semisweet chocolate chips

Method:

1. In a mixing bowl, mix kou fen and icing sugar together with a spatula or whisk.
2. Mix melted chocolate, oil and water together in a cup/bowl.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients. Stir and mix the ingredients together in one direction, do this quickly to ensure a uniform and smooth skin.
4. Once the mixture comes together to form a dough, knead with your hand until dough becomes smooth and does not stick to the mixing bowl.
5. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Make them into a ball. It is best to put on a pair of disposable, clean, food-grade gloves, or you can use a clean, food-grade plastic bag. Else, the dough will stick onto your hand.
6. Make the lotus seeds paste into 35g ball each, roll some chocolate chips over each ball.
7. Flatten the dough using your palm, put the lotus seeds paste ball in the center and wrap it up. Close all ends. Roll into a ball.
8. Roll the ball on some kou fen, dust the mooncake plunger mould with some kou fen too. Make sure that the mould is dry. Shake excess kou fen off. Put the ball into the plunger mould and press it out. Keep in the fridge until ready to consume.

Strongly encourage you to refer to Siu Kitchen's video to learn how to wrap mooncake, as well as how to use the plunger. The video is very useful.

The photo below is my attempt to make Earl Grey Tea Snowskin Mooncake. But the flavour of the Earl Grey Tea is extremely mild. I used the same recipe as the snowskin mooncake made last year, just replaced the water with Earl Grey Tea. I tried 60g Twinnings Earl Grey Tea but there was no hint of it :p


Happy mooncake making! :)

Comments